Ah Italia!
"Milan! I'm going to be working in Milan! The fashion capital of the world! Oh my god! What am I going to wear??!!!"Those were the first thoughts that went through my head when I was told that Milan is confirmed. The agency would pay for me to fly over and have a look at the place, quick debrief, see if I'd like it. But I'm booked to go on holiday, I told the MD. "Oh no problem. You come for one week, then you go for your holiday. If you like it, you come back."
Fantastic - free trip to Milan, and if I don't like it, no strings attached!
After that one week trip (it was cold and wet, and I spent the whole time there on my own, spoke to no one, had sandwiches for dinner every night and did zero shopping), I thought that I would go there just for the experience. After all, it's not every day that such an opportunity falls into my lap...and you know, Asians (or is it Malaysians?) have always had a fascination with Europe.
My mum said that she'd come along with me to help me get settled in, and I managed to get a free ticket for her on my Northwest frequent flyer points. The only thing is that I couldn't get her on the same flight as me - she would join me one day later in Milan. So leaving wasn't too difficult, felt some comfort knowing that I'd see Mum in 24 hours.
So here I am in Milan. I got to the hotel that the agency had organised for me...I walk into the room and...OH MY GOD! It's a bloody single room! I had told them that my mum was going to be with me, and needed a double room. Maybe the message got lost along the way, so panic stations! I ask the reception if they had a double room, and if not, could I add a bed in the room. Snotty bastard at reception told me, "No and no" - not exactly, but more or less! I get into the office and told my boss (his name is Luca) about my problem, and he told me not to worry, and that Stefano will sort it. He calls out for Stefano, tells him my problem, who then rushes out to sort it out for me.
By the end of the day, he says that he's got another hotel with a double room for me and that I can check-out tomorrow from the current hotel and then check-in to the other hotel. Phew! What a first day in Milan!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home